Parotta Hut


‘Parotta Hut’ grabbed my attention when I was once wandering through Pattom, conducting a survey regarding the Vattiyoorkavu by-election. Within a week, when me and Hari were riding to ‘Zam Zam’ for some Chicken Shawayya as usual, I found ‘Parotta Hut’ again. I asked Hari whether we could stop there for dinner. As we approached, I grew nervous because he normally never likes new food places. I could see Bun Parottas being cooked in a pan, near the entrance. They appeared really delicious, giving me hope to step in. It was a small place with dining on the second floor, separating into a room with a single low dining table and a larger area with five or six tables. The walls had some interesting art like Kareemikka from ‘Ustad Hotel’ and Don Vito Corleone from ‘The Godfather’ having a meal together! While we were skimming through the menu, they gave us a complimentary ginger tea drink as appetizer.‘Stuffed Parotta' of all chicken, egg and beef variants were highlighted in the menu. Having never heard of the food item before, I ordered a ‘Stuffed Parotta – Beef’ out of curiosity. Bun Parotta which started tempting me right from the entrance was also ordered with a plate of Chilly Chicken to accompany.


The bun parottas came first. They were smaller in size but a lot thicker unlike the usual parottas. Crispy, slightly juicy and chewy, bun parottas should be consumed strictly before they lose their steam. Sauteed in a good amount of oil in the pan, they were golden coloured with mild crimson stripes. Just two of them could satisfy an average person’s hunger. The Chilly Chicken had the right amount of spices. Altered to match the taste of the South Indian taste buds like in most regional restaurants, it didn' t seem to be authentic Chinese cuisine. The portion size was decent, but might not appeal to huge meat eaters(like myself). Especially if you are looking to share a plate. I got confused whether I ordered two instead of one when the Stuffed Parotta arrived. I even asked the waiter to confirm after seeing the splendid quantity. The layers of dough were thin, each stuffed with a finely balanced concoction of beef and egg. But, it had a strong flavour of pepper which I don' t enjoy very much. The waiter offered us some ketchup to help even out the flavours. Then I learned that ketchup is indispensable to bring out the true amazing taste of the Stuffed Parotta. While I was relishing the tender pieces of beef inside, Hari told me that the Stuffed Parotta could be a best-seller. It was the first time I saw him compliment a food item that he has not tried before! It made me feel proud as I suggested the place.

By the time we finished half of the Stuffed Parotta, our bellies were full. So, we had to pack the rest of it and take it as parcel. The bill amount was just Rs. 280. I doubt whether such a budget friendly eatery can be found inside Trivandrum for the time being. A sanctum for all the parotta lovers, never miss to try this place if you are in Trivandrum.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When I met my Superstar

'The Green Mile' - An Introspect into Magical Realism

IFFK Assignment - Les Misérables Review